The Performance and Capacity team at Zendesk is committed to ensuring the organization understands the best ways to utilize hardware resources for any given task. We work closely with both Operations and Development teams to ensure adequate capacity is brought to bear on any given computing task or set of tasks.
Ideally We expect that your primary interest is in the hardware and software performance problem space, particularly regarding its interaction with infrastructure capacity. You are expected to have strong knowledge and understanding of hardware and software load testing and benchmarking. Because our infrastructures capacity is heavily dependent on the performance of AuroraDB, We expect you to have a deep understanding and proven applied knowledge of Aurora or mysql database performance tuning and enhancement. You are expected to have strong knowledge and understanding of hardware and software load testing and benchmarking. You should be prepared to build a company wide program for applying this discipline from the ground up.
- 2-3 Years of demonstrated experience in Aurora and/or mysql database performance enhancement and tuning, during which time you have been involved with and can demonstrate mastery of the following:
- Detection and optimization of long running queries.
- Working with product groups to encourage query optimization where possible
- Elimination of performance bottlenecks in SQL infrastructure
- 3-5 Years of demonstrated experience in performance tuning, and benchmarking problem spaces, during which time you have been involved with the following:
- Software performance tuning; Ruby experience preferred.
- Software performance benchmarking and load testing
- Creating custom load testing software (load generation)
- Running benchmark tests, and analysing their results
- Working with teams to improve the performance of their application based on observations you make
- Performance measurement within the AWS environment
- Demonstrated knowledge of modern Linux administration tools and techniques
- While knowledge of Ruby is required, demonstrated basic knowledge of any of the following languages, would be extremely beneficial:
- Understanding of modern PC Hardware, VMs, Containers, etc.
- Willingness to extensively document your work and results. Candidates with a history or relevant blog postings or published papers will be given strong preference.
- Equally value empathy, communication, and technical skills
- Demonstrated knowledge of Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Understanding of container orchestration layers particularly Kubernetes
Interested in this opportunity? Apply at Staff Capacity & Performance Engineer (glassdoor.com)