Lumen is guided by our belief that humanity is at its best when technology advances the way we live and work. With 450,000 route fiber miles serving customers in more than 60 countries, we deliver the fastest, most secure global platform for applications and data to help businesses, government and communities deliver amazing experiences.
Learn more about Lumens network, edge cloud, security and communication and collaboration solutions and our purpose to further human progress through technology at news.lumen.com, LinkedIn: /lumentechnologies, Twitter: @lumentechco, Facebook: /lumentechnologies, Instagram: @lumentechnologies and YouTube: /lumentechnologies.
The IT Systems Engineer II provides advanced Tier II support by troubleshooting and repairing network devices, tools, and services for a nationwide fiber optic transport network as well as network support for two (2) geographically separated Network Operation Centers (NOC). The IT System Engineer II is operationally responsible for all IP and network management applications associated with the IP and transport platforms and maintaining 100% availability of IP and Network Management services in engineering and operations environment.
The Main Responsibilities
- Serves as technical POC for service Provisioning, Configurations, and Test and Turn-up (TTU) processes. Interface with Lead Provisioner and Tier3 on network requirements, designs, and any other information needed to perform tasks.
- Perform Transport, IP, and Network Management functions in engineering and operations environment and operates as technical SME for Tier2 trouble escalations. Serves as the first level of escalation to Tier 1 NOC personnel on Transport related issues
- Performs advanced diagnostics using software and hardware tools to determine network status and optimize network performance
- Implements service provisioning, configurations, and TTU tasks by supporting new system/circuit activations or deactivations as driven by customer requirements
- The ITSE II works closely with Provisioner in implementing system requirements to provide connectivity for TDM (DS-1, DS-3), SONET (OC-3/12/48/192), OTN, IP, and DWDM paths
- Provide technical guidance, direction, and training to junior technicians with emphasis on Transport equipment
- Provide technical input to operational documentations and SOP for Transport discipline supporting the NOC
- Maintain Circuit Layout Records (CLR), Network Diagrams, and other supporting documentation. Review and provide feedback or updates to network as-built, Engineering Development Plans (EDP), and configuration management drawings
- On-call after hours/on-call support as required
- Junior Technical to Network Provisioner and ITSE III: receive technical guidance and mentorship
- 40% Initial travel is should be expected
What We Look For in a Candidate
- Bachelor’s degree in an Information Technology field and 5 years experience required or seven years of applicable work experience.
- Strong knowledge of SONET, OTN, and DWDM, as well as a high level of proficiency in troubleshooting service troubles in this arena, is a must and required
- Experience with Ciena and Infinera Optical equipment and software is required. Long haul optical equipment certifications and training are expected
- Demonstrates capabilities in IP technical discipline. Able to operate and accomplish technical tasks with minimum guidance. Knowledgeable of common network architectures for routing, switching, and security technologies is preferred
- Familiar with the uses of Transport management tool and network management protocols, including but not limited to One-Control, Node Manager, Site Manager
- Security+ or equivalent IAT/IAM/IASAE Level 2 of DoD 8570.1 is required.
- JNCIA or CCNA is preferred but not required
- Firm knowledge of the encryption devices KG-175G/D, KIV-7M, KG-340
- Expected to work in a shift environment in support of 24×7 operations
- Up to 15% travel can be expected due to possible deployments to lab facilities and other NOC locations
- The individual is required to keep up with the high demand of the position
- This position requires a Top Secret/SCI clearance
We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all persons regardless of race, color, ancestry, citizenship, national origin, religion, veteran status, disability, genetic characteristic or information, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, family status, pregnancy, or other legally protected status (collectively, protected statuses). We do not tolerate unlawful discrimination in any employment decisions, including recruiting, hiring, compensation, promotion, benefits, discipline, termination, job assignments or training.
The above job definition information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. Job duties and responsibilities are subject to change based on changing business needs and conditions.
Interested in this opportunity? Apply at Sr IT Systems Engineer – Federal [glassdoor.com]