CenturyLink (NYSE: CTL) is the second largest U.S. communications provider to global enterprise customers. With customers in more than 60 countries and an intense focus on the customer experience, CenturyLink strives to be the worlds best networking company by solving customers increased demand for reliable and secure connections. The company also serves as its customers trusted partner, helping them manage increased network and IT complexity and providing managed network and cyber security solutions that help protect their business.
The Operations Technician III Federal has an in-depth technical knowledge of network operations to perform circuit and equipment/network restoration. The technician proactively monitors, responds to and resolves network issues and alarms. In the process of network restoration notifies management and program office with risk potential and an impact assessment.
The Main Responsibilities
- Perform circuit and equipment/network restoration, recognize potential jeopardy conditions.
- Management of circuits (T1 – 100Gb, Ethernet & IP), perform testing and activation of new network circuits as well as long-haul, metro and international optical networks.
- Work very closely with Federal government network operation centers (NOC) customers for all demand and scheduled maintenance to conform to customer network management requirements and protocols.
- Analyze network troubles, assess performance data and develop design optimization plans accordingly
- Interface with fiber vendors, telecom providers and other entities on complex technical matters.
- Participate as a Lead/SME to select customers to participate in regular customer meetings, procedural reviews, audits, and other functions
- Review and interpret electric data processing (EDP) and as-built engineering documentation
- Coordinate and track return material authorization (RMA) requests, including vendor interface to obtain RMA authorization requests and completion of RMA submittal forms
- Analyze, test and repair Layer 2/3 network problems. Ensure services conform to customer mandated SLAs for latency, packet loss, jitter, throughput. Ability to test using standard protocols, as well as Iperf and Brix platforms
What We Look For in a Candidate
- Minimum of 5+ years’ experience with SONET based, long-haul and metro transport networks, next-generation DWDM wavelength systems, SDH networks with SNCP rings, DCCS cross-connect systems, and/or Ethernet, VPLS, IP, MPLS
- Possess the appropriate U.S. government security clearance required by the customer..
- Ability to relate technical issues to management and Government personnel, interfacing in a professional manner with management and customers.
- Flexibility with regard to work levels and shift accommodation is imperative
- Associate degree in Engineering, Electronics, Software, or Networks; or a related technical or vocational education or equivalent experience. Seven or more years applicable work experience Preferred Cisco CCIP, CCDP, CCNP certifications, Juniper or ALU data networking equivalent
- Strong working knowledge and experience on DWDM Layer 1, Metro Ethernet and IP communications (IPv4, IPv6, routing protocols)
- Technical knowledge and experience on contemporary technologies (e.g. MPLS, TDM, Ethernet, eLAN-eLine, TCP/IP, BGP, QoS, IP, etc)
- Previous experience with broadband and/or narrowband circuit maintenance, testing and restoration, provisioning databases and circuit activations
- Previous experience with routers, IP protocols, configurations, interfaces is strongly preferred
- Prior experience with Transport platforms (i.e. Nortel, Cisco, Ciena, Lucent and Tellabs) and Data platforms (Cisco, Juniper, Adtran)
- Previous experience with Gov’t networks and customers.
- Demonstrated leadership profile to manage customer networks, proactively track and escalate issues, engage resources to expedite service/network outages, professional interaction skills with customers and management
- Must be able to effectively manage multiple issues simultaneously through effective work prioritization.
- Demonstrated ability to make sound decisions and logical thinking when under pressure
- Demonstrated ability to train, coach and develop technical skill set of shift technicians
- Willingness to work in and support a 7X24 operation
- TS/SCI clearance required
- All travel for this position is CONUS and would include travel to locations in the Eastern, Central, and Mountain time zones and should not exceed 15%.
Alternate Location: US-Colorado-Colorado Springs
We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all persons regardless of race, color, ancestry, citizenship, national origin, religion, veteran status, disability, genetic characteristic or information, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, family status, pregnancy, or other legally protected status (collectively, protected statuses). We do not tolerate unlawful discrimination in any employment decisions, including recruiting, hiring, compensation, promotion, benefits, discipline, termination, job assignments or training.
The above job definition information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. Job duties and responsibilities are subject to change based on changing business needs and conditions.
Interested in this opportunity? Apply at Operations Technician III – Federal [glassdoor.com]