The Competence Center Citizen Science is a jointly established center of the University of Zurich and the ETH Zurich. The Center supports the implementation and running of Citizen Science projects at these two institutions, and operates a Citizen Science platform. We are looking for an enthusiastic and communicative
Open Source Full Stack Developer (80-100 %)
to enhance our team (starting Jan 1st 2021, initially for 6 months, with possible extension). The platform is developed in close cooperation with a front-end developer and a community of contributing partners, as well as with S3IT, a unit of the University of Zurich specialized in developing and operating research IT infrastructures.
We are seeking an experienced and talented software developer with proven technical abilities and accomplishments, experience with managing an open source project, a strong passion for science, and the willingness to “go the extra mile” to ensure the highest quality of experience for our users. The primary role will be to further develop the platform in collaboration with the partners and ensure the reliable operation of the overall platform, using cloud infrastructure and popular services, such as Github. The platform’s purpose is to enable rapid prototyping and execution of Citizen Science projects while maintaining the highest standards of data security and building an increasing community of citizen scientists in Zurich. In addition, this position also includes direct collaborations with scientists in the development of individual, external and international projects. All code is developed publicly at Citizen Science Center Zurich – Git Hub..
- Higher education in computer science or related field
- Experience in developing and operating scalable, secure web applications (using Docker and other build tools)
- Experience in collaborating in a larger open source project
- Experience with PostgreSQL and Psycopg2 library for Python
- Knowledge of agile development methods and experience using open-source technologies combined with CI/CD
- Proactive, structured and flexible way of working
- High organizational and problem-solving capabilities
- Completing various work assignments and collaborating with others as required
- Able to work independently and as part of a team
- Strong interest in working in an academic environment
- An excellent command of written and spoken English and excellent communication skills
- Eligibility to work in Switzerland
The following qualifications will be considered strong advantages:
- Experience in science communication and citizen science
- German language fluency
- Knowledge of Vue.js
What we offer
We offer a dynamic work environment with friendly colleagues in direct contact with many IT experts and interdisciplinary research groups. You will have an exciting opportunity to further develop and operate the Citizen Science platform and be an integral part of a growing competence center, jointly established by the University of Zurich and ETH Zurich. In addition to perks (e.g. access to University’s city-wide sports facilities and lunch checks) you will be compensated according to the high living standards of Zurich.
Place of work
Start of employment
Employment start date to be mutually agreed.
If interested, please apply at Open Source Full Stack Developer [indeed.com]